LIGHT THE DARKNESS
NAMI Chicago’s annual Awards Dinner, Light the Darkness 2017 took place on Thursday, March 30th at The Geraghty!
Light the Darkness is where we came together to illuminate the path to change. Our conversations created understanding. Our support dismantled the stigma. And our collective spark ignited empowerment and recovery. Light the Darkness recognized incredible advocates as this year’s honorees. We are so grateful to all who supported this inspirational evening.
2017 Light the Darkness Honorees
- Humanitarian Award: Senator Dick Durbin
- Public Education of the Year Award: Lori Lightfoot, President, Chicago Police Board; Chaired Police Accountability Task Force; Partner, Mayer Brown LLP
- Community Service of the Year Award: Leslee Stein-Spencer, Director, Medical Administration and Regulatory Compliance Division, Chicago Fire Department
- Community Health Advocate of the Year Award: Dr. Shastri Swaminathan, Chairman, Department of Psychiatry, Advocate Illinois Medical Center
- CIT Officer of the Year Award: Officer Rhomel Owens, Chicago Police Department
We were honored to announce this year’s Master of Ceremonies, Nesita Kwan! After a 30 year career as a broadcast journalist, she is now a program consultant at the University of Southern California’s Center for Health Journalism.