Please consider getting involved with NAMI Chicago. You can make a valuable contribution to our mission of providing hope and resources to individuals living with a mental health condition and their family.
*Note for individuals completing their CRSS credential: Volunteer hours at NAMI Chicago are not sufficient to fulfill the Certified Recovery Support Specialist (CRSS) requirements. For more information on CRSS requirements, click here.
Join the Speaker's Bureau! To break the stigma of mental illness, it is important for people to meet individuals living with mental illness and their family members. When more people share stories of recovery, struggle or hope, it lets all of us know that we're not alone.
Each program is geared to a different audience and they are described below. We ask that each prospective speaker choose one program to start and then expand to other programs once you become more comfortable.
- Presentation takes place during the day throughout the school year.
- One presenter (ideally 18-30 years old) shares their story of recovery.
- Another presenter discusses the signs and symptoms of mental health.
- Must be available Tuesday or Friday afternoons.
- One panel discussion is for people living in recovery.
- Second panel discussion is for family members of an individual living with a mental health condition.
Legislative Action Alerts
An important part of our work at NAMI Chicago is the role we play as advocates for better quality mental health services, a more comprehensive system that is fully funded, and the support services needed to live in recovery. You can get involved by connecting with your legislators to share the impact of the need for strong mental health services. To receive legislative action alerts, click here.
NAMI Smarts for Advocacy will enhance your advocacy skills and help you shape a powerful and personal story that will move policymakers. In this hands on, two-hour session, you’ll craft your story and gain confidence to share your story with policy makers.
Thank you for getting involved!